The Big Pedal is a UK national competition which is a massive cycle and scoot to school event. In 2013 over 845,000 journeys were made by bike and scooter by pupils at nearly 1,000 schools. This year it takes place 3 - 14 March.
Once again, Belhaven Bikes is supporting the Dunbar schools with the Big Pedal event as the schools aim to repeat, or better, their success from 2013 when they won their respective categories in Scotland.
This year’s fun events, offers and prizes;
- At the Primary’s John Muir Campus Monday 3 March, Belhaven Bikes will carry out free bike safety checks from 8.15am. Adults welcome too.
- The Primary is having a big push on Wednesday 5 March to try to win one of the Big Pedal stages. Go for it!
- Adult journeys also contribute greatly to the points awarded to the school so any adults (parents/carers/staff) who cycle to school will be given a raffle ticket each day at the Primary for entry into a prize draw. They can win a £25 Gift Card from Belhaven Bikes.
- Primary pupils who cycle to school all week will be entered into a free prize draw with the winners announced 7 and 14 March.
- Extra house points will be up for grabs at the Grammar!
- Friday 7 March is ‘Bling Your Helmet’ day at the Primary. Go on, bling your bike too!
- The Primary’s Junior Road Safety Officers have arranged a prize for the class who have the highest number of cyclists wearing helmets.
- Belhaven Bikes will carry out free bike safety checks at the Grammar Monday 10 March.
- Friday 14 March is the Primary’s ‘Superhero Day’. Have fun cycling/scooting to school dressed as your favourite superhero and there will be an obstacle course during Golden Time.
- Belhaven Bikes will again be offering prizes such as water bottles and free entries to theSPACE skatepark in North Berwick to the pupils and students.
- Parents/carers/supporters who would like to participate in the event can also hire a bike for free from Belhaven Bikes.